Re: Welding Basics

To: Silikal@aol.com
Subject: Re: Welding Basics
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 00:09:29 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 Silikal@aol.com wrote:

> What I want to know is, how many slugs to a stone?

Hmmm... Let's see if I remember--I suppose it would be cheating to look it
up.  First, it isn't a fair question.  A stone is a measure of weight,
whereas a slug is a measure of mass.  The usual, albeit sloppy, answer
would be that a mass of 1 slug weighs 32 pounds on earth (give or take a
couple of tenths of a pound).  So a stone would have the same mass as
14/32 slugs.

> For extra points, how many slugs to a stone on the Moon?

Trick question, indeed.  Still 14/32.

How'd I do (it's been 35 years)?

> Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)
> Trick question - slugs can't live on the Moon. ;-)

Or in the Great Salt Lake.

For that matter, if you put a slug on a concrete floor, it gets
hemorrhoids and its battery runs down.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910