Canned lead & fuel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Canned lead & fuel
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:26:11 -0500
The previous owner of my MGA (with ‘62 B engine) used unleaded fuel and added
canned lead.

I have found several different brands of lead substitute and purchased STP's
version of "lead substitute" fuel additive.  Unlike my diet coke, the product
label doesn't give any clue as to the ingredients or nutritional value for my
car.

Does anyone know what's in this stuff?

Is one brand of lead substitute better than another?

Will it really save my valves?  Does it really take the place of good old
(virtually unavailable) lead?

Also, in my part of New Jersey, I have found one Sunoco station that sells
their 100 octane fuel.  It's a long trip out of my way and I'm wondering if
it's worth the trouble.

Can anyone tell me how much difference there is in performance, kindness to
my engine, etc. between the more readily available 93 or 94 octane fuel and
the out-of-the way 100 octane?

Keith Baer
‘57 MGA