Re: Why both MGBs and Midgets?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why both MGBs and Midgets?
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 95 10:52:34 PST
Bob Donahue wondered:

> Why did MG make two different sports cars? The MGB is bigger than the Midget
> but it is not exactly a land yacht. I own an MGB but know little about the
> Midget.

There are people on this list who can give you an intelligent answer to that
question -- I'm not one of them.  But I can tell you that the MG Midget is
not a recent idea.  Friends of mine have a 1930 M-type that was the first
MG to be called a Midget.  I think production actually started in '29.  They
also have a '79 Midget so they own one of the first and one of the last
Midgets that are (almost) 50 years apart.  One of these days, I'll look and
see if the M-type says MOWOG anywhere on it.  What I want to know is, why
was the latest MG Midget originally the Austin Healey sprite?

MG actually made three different sports cars at the same time.  '67 through
'69 (according to Moss) they also made the MGC.  I'm told by people who own
C's that the car was designed to be a Porsche eater on the track and was only
sold to the public so that it could be raced as a production car.  In all of
the races I've read about, the MGC was winning until it broke.

And let's not forget the MG 1100.

Denise Thorpe, organizer and sole member of the Society for the Protection
and Appreciation of the MG 1100 (SPAM)