Re: Where's the MGD and MGE ?

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: Where's the MGD and MGE ?
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 13:26:20 -0500 (EST)

> >MGers:
> >
> >Does anyone know how the count got to "F" so quickly?  What happened to the
> >MGD and MGE?  Is there any truth to the rumor that prototypes of these
> >models are sitting out in some desert under the wing of a mockup of what
> >was to be the Boeing 717 ?
> >
> >Russ Wilson
> >

> There was an MG EX-E prototype car made in the early 80's, pix of which can
> be viewed in the McComb book (and probably other MG history books).  I
> remember that it was a wedge-styled mid-engine car, reminiscent of the Lotus
> Esprit but with even cleaner body surfaces and lots of flat glass.

  They've got this car on display in the Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon.  I
saw it there on my trip to England.  It's a really neat looking car, very
un-MG, but very neat.  It was displayed next to an RV8, which is also a very
nice looking car (IMHO).  I definately prefer it's conservative,
retro-styled look the the MGF.
   The interesting thing I noted looking at these cars was that while I
thought the RV8 looks really well put together in pictures and the EX-E
looks sort of hacked up, they looked the exact oposite in real life.

   The car I'd still love to see is the redesign of the MGB that they did
around '81.  One of the MGB history books, unfortunately I don't remember
which one, shows a picture of one (or at least a mock-up of one) and tells a
sad tale of trying to get Japanese investors to keep the B afloat and coming
up short by something like 2000 pounds.  They had done a much better job
with the bumpers this time, redesigning them to be smaller and body colored
if I remember correctly, with an accent strip of chrome on them.

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation
                                        '74 MGB, '76 Spit