tired LFB engine prices

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: tired LFB engine prices
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 09:00:50 -0500
Fellow fiends:

You can probably file this under "hopeless winter dreaming" (yes, its only
November but it has also already snowed) but I'm wondering about a winter
project building a higher preformance road engine for my '63.  What I have
in mind is some ill-defined ballance between enhanced performance and
streetability.  I'm sort of tired of being beaten out at stop lights by
septuagenarian-piloted Ford Aspires (what ever they are).  The list has
discussed such a "fast road engine" in the past and I don't want to re-hash
that now.  What I'd simply like to get is a feeling from list members for
the price of a tired but rebuildable 3-main.  By that I mean a solid block
and head and a good crank.  My local lbc mechanic (who is expressing renewed
interest in my OD box after a few "words" over the phone-thank you very
much) has a couple in the dark recesses of his garage.  We haven't talked
price but I'm wondering what the heck such a lump would go for?  What is a
fair price for a fair engine?

Any netters out there that I could correspond with regarding such a project?

The lump in Old Whitesides may very well be the original one (18G5xxx in
GHNL6055) and I guess I'd like to keep the original engine in original spec
(No, I haven't sent 50$ to England to determine if these numbers "match."
I'm accepting donations for just such an effort).  This may be mis-placed
devotion to the purity of essence in Old Whitesides-I've denied that to
others in the past.

I hope you know which marque I mean as my team of high priced lawyers advise
me not to repeat it in public where my motive might be misconstrued.  We
could do what the guys did who made "2001;" just slot the letters up one
(instead of IBM, they had HAL).  Hence, I feel comfortable telling you I
drive a 1963 LFB.

Will "god, I hope I can still call it a B" Zehring