Re: New to MGs

To: BNoffke@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New to MGs
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 15:37:41 -0500

On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, BNoffke@aol.com wrote:
>I am new to both AOL and this mailing list. I am an owner of a 1963 MGB which
>I am rebuilding( third owner since operational). The car is near completion
>on the structural rebuild, but now I must take on the electircal system. My
>car, as recieved from the previous owner had a 12 volt battery installed; I
>suspose it was modified from 6 volt positive ground to 12 vold negative
>ground. How is the best way to confirm this? The generator on the car has a
>12 V stamped on this outside - does this indicate it is a 12 volt generator?
>Also, if it was modified from 6 volt to 12 volt what all is necessary to
>change?
>
>Thanks in Advance for your help.
>
>I am not one of the technical people on the list but perhaps I can clear up a
point or two. All MG`s are "12 volt" even back in the 1930`s. I`m doing a 1934
PA right now and its 12 volts. Your car came with two 6 volt batteries
connected
in series to yield 12 volts. I believe the cars were positive earth (ground)
until 1967. Because of radios etc. many owners have reversed the polarity to
the
now universal negative ground. This is apparently easily done by reversing the
coil wires and sparking the generator field. If your generator operates it will
put out 12 volts and thats what you need. Your wipers, heater motor, starter
and
everything else works on 12 volts. The question of whether you want to go
original with two 6 volt batteries or one 12 volt is up to you. Today you can
buy 12 volt batteries as small as one original 6 and its a lot cheaper! Its
hard
enough getting to the batteries to check them so I advise a maintaince free 12
volt and eliminate one pain in servicing your car. Good luck and welcome to the
list.

Mike Leckstein