Re: Wire Knock-Off Wheels

To: blyarb@cs1.presby.edu
Subject: Re: Wire Knock-Off Wheels
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 10:01:01 EST
In message <v01530502acd77d802724@[192.188.108.15]> Bill Yarborough writes:

> >Bill,
> >
> >My brother Tim just purchased another Austin Healey this past weekend and
> >of course I went to help him pick it up and tinker with it.  My or I
> >guess I should say his question is do you know how to remove knock-off
> >wheels when it appears the splines have rusted together?  Were the wheels
> >stuck on your +4?  I asked Jim today and he had no great answers.

This hits home 'cause for the first time in 20 years of LBC bliss I too,
recently had a stuck wheel. I recalled the trick of loosening the knock-off and
driving in a circle, but I tried something different. After loosening the
knock-off I accelerated slightly into my garage (the only paved surface around)
and hit the brakes hard. I repeated this several times and then took another
whack at the stuck wheel. It came off.

I could see that rust had formed on the tapered, polished, surface of the hub
where it contacts a matching surface on the wheel. I'm thinking that here is
where these wheels/hubs tend to rust together, not on the splines themselves.
With all of the flats I get (I think my car has affinity for nails), and sharing
my "good" wheels between two cars,  I'm constantly pulling wheels and
re-greasing the splines, but from now on I'll pay more attention to these
polished surfaces.

Dave Culgan culgandm@gg.dupont.com
'66 MGB,'70 MGB-GT, and a few others