AUS, NZ and Paul Theroux

To: Magyk1@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: AUS, NZ and Paul Theroux
From: Railroad@gnn.com (Glen Wilson)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 13:36:39
Just a note about this book:

THE HAPPY ISLES OF OCEANIA    by     PAUL THEROUX

I was looking for information about New Zealand and read a good portion of
Threroux's book.  This guy seems to have hated everything he saw and everyone
he met in both Australia and New Zealand.  Borders on national character
assassination.  What a pill this guy seems to have been.  His attitude may
have been colored by the fact that his marriage was falling apart as he wrote
the book.  Still, I don't especially trust anything he writes.

Also, if you buy this book in a book store, the date of publication is listed
as 1994 when in fact the book was written in 1966 or before according to the
tattered copy in my local library.  Historical info may not have changed, but
don't rely on it as far as descriptions of the current culture or economy are
concerned.

Any comments from you people down under?

PS

  Recently I've seen several references to "Jap" automobiles or "Jap" parts.
>From what I've been told by people I've know of Japanese descent, you
shouldn't use this terminology unless you specifically intend to offend
Japanese readers on the list.  For what it's worth.

Glen Wilson

'59 English Ford 100E Squire Deluxe Estate (Excellent Original)
'67 MG 1100 Saloon (Runs & Drives)
'66 MG Midget (Really Nice)
'66 MG Midget (Solid Project Car)