Wheel Bearing and/or Frozen Brake Shoe

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel Bearing and/or Frozen Brake Shoe
From: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 08:06:28 -0800
Well my as part of my  "continuing restoration" on my 71B (been at it since
April 71), I am seeking some assistance.

Last night while driving home from work I smelled something like burning
oil. Stopped the car, checked under the hood. Yea!! Every thing ok under
there. Walked around the car and discovered that the smell was most
prominent around the driver's side rear wheel. Felt the rim (I do not have
wires) and it was significantly hotter than the front. Did not check the
other side.  Only a short distance home, so I continued on. No other strange
sounds or unusual performance when I applied the brakes.

Did not have an opportunity to check anything else and drove my other car
today.

What should I inspect and  expect to find in diagnosing the problem? My
first guesses are brake shoe or wheel bearing, but any assistance is
appreciated.

Much Thanks
Stephen M. Patchel
spatchel@radford.com