stupid question (again)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: stupid question (again)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:21:24 -0500
Fellow fiends:

I promise I'm going to get to work in a minute but I have one question.
This regards the thread on suspected bearing noise and the observation that
the noise is occuring once per second.  Of course its hard to estimate "once
per second" by ear, but if the engine is at idle, say at 800 rpm, what
bearing surface is knocking only once per second?  The way I figure it, the
crank is rotating 14 times a second at even 800 rpm.  I'm obviously missing
some thing here (brain?  experience?) so any edifying remarks would be
muchly appreciated.

Will "1 step forward, 2 steps back" Zehring