Re: stupid question (again) was Rod Knockage? or something

To: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@sfo-nichols.com>
Subject: Re: stupid question (again) was Rod Knockage? or something
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:54:01 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> > crank is rotating 14 times a second at even 800 rpm.  I'm obviously missing
> > some thing here (brain?  experience?) so any edifying remarks would be
> > muchly appreciated.
>
> Oops.  Sorry, Will.  I wasn't very clear in my description.  By "tock tock
> tock tock tock" once per second, I meant five tocks per second.  This was
> just an estimate without a time measurement device.  I guess it is
> probably 6-7 per at idle.  It's definitely not 14 per.  Since Denise
> posted than rod knock was a two part sound ("knack-a") I would hypothesize
> that that second part is being masked by other sounds.

Well, if the crank is spinning at 800 rpm (13.3 rps), then the
distributor (and cam) are spinning at 400 rpm......the magucal 6-7
rps......  Maybe you've got something amiss in the distributor??

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME senior - Mississippi State University
Design Coordinator - MSU Formula SAE......Powered by Honda......
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB
85 Buick
96 --I DON'T THINK SO!!!