Re: Knock Knock and Oil to Cam

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Knock Knock and Oil to Cam
From: gmapes@ball.com (Glenn Mapes)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:04:07 -0700
Try removing a spark plug lead, one at a time, while the engine is running
and note the sounds the engine makes.  If the knock goes away or the sound
is reduced while the plug lead is disconnected then you have at least
located the cylinder that has the problem.

You could then attach a timing light to that plug (after reconnecting the
plug lead) and use the strobe flash of the light as a 'sync' to the noise.
 If the noise occurs every time the light flashes then I would say the
problem is a rod bearing; if, however, the noise only occurs every other
flash then the problem would be in the valve train.

Glenn Mapes
gmapes@ball.com

1968 MGB