no speed limit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: no speed limit
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 19:47:28 -0500
As I live in the congressional district of the late Reps. Howard, the father of
the 55mph speed limit law, I read with some envy and some fear the cheers for
no
speed limits. Here in N.J. I doubt if we make it back to 60 mph (where it was
on
interstates before l973. )( no Jersey bashing please! ) Believe it or not we
have rural areas. What scares me is the thought of driving to Indianapolis for
the big MG meet next June in my TF, despite what some claim to do, my TF in
stock form can't cruise all day beyond 60 and likes 55 a lot better. The
thought
of 18 wheelers who now pass me at 70 , going close to 80 is terrifying!
   My thoughts go to cruising the autostrada in Italy a number of years ago. I
had a rented car that did a comfortable 90. The problem was on either end of
the
spectrum. Come around a curve on a hill, and suddenly find yourself about to
rear end a Fiat 500 barely doing 45mph. A moment later you're overtaken out of
nowhere by an exotic doing 140! And they didn't have the volume of traffic we
have. I guess Nevada and Montana can't worry about Mikes TF but a lot of dense
states are going wild. I guess I'm all mixed up. If you have to get there fast,
take a plane. If I have to go far by car,I would rather MG at more reasonable
speeds.65 east of the Mississippi and 70 west should be plenty.

Mike (stuck in the northeast megalopolis ) Leckstein   Is this note heresy to
this group?