Re: battery still on concrete

Subject: Re: battery still on concrete
From: "White, Richard H." <White@courier3.aero.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 09:22:00 -0800
I believe this experiment may be flawed.  A measurement of Specific Gravity
of the electrolyte is a more accurate measurement for "state of charge".
Unfortuately this number is a function of temperature, cell voltage is also a
function of temperature.  Lead acid batterys also tend to self-discharge at a
rate of about 5% per month.  Normal car batteries are not designed to
be discharged more than 25% before damage occurs.  Deep cycle batteries are
designed to withstand more abuse.  Car batteries are designed to be fully
charged there whole life. Battery voltage is a poor indication of charge,
the capacity will decrease much quicker.  The proof maybe in a couple months
when the battery is installed in a vehicle and the key is turned.  The
voltage will then drop instantly to nothing.  Richard  (all this worthless
knowledge came about from my electric Spitfire conversion project)
REPLY FROM: White, Richard H.