Re: Was there a '62 B?

To: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was there a '62 B?
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:16:32 -0500

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson) wrote:
>SOLers:
>
>There is frequent reference to 1962 MGB's.  Although sales did start in
>late '62, it is my understanding that the first *model year* was 1963 and
>that there was never a "1962 MGB".
>
>Is there any net-knowledge on this subject?
>
>Russ

I note  in a reply to your question,  that the Oct. 80 cars were  considered  a
81 model year. In England I have seen adverts for 81 model cars, but have never
heard of a U.S. registered 81 MGB. When a new model was introduced in the
latter
production years, the car had to meet DOT requirements. Thus my "80" made in
July 79 states it meets DOT requirements for 1980. I doubt but don't know of
any
81 model meeting 1981 DOT specs. If anyone has knowledge about this, it would
be
interesting.

This procedure is different from the early years when the factory stuck to the
calendar and cars became what ever year they were sold, resulting in 1950 TCs
etc.

Mike Leckstein