Re: Thereby hangs a tale!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thereby hangs a tale!
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 08:47:01 -0500
>Dear "warm and fuzzy",
>
>I would like to share with you "Old Whitesides?" and the tale that hangs
>thereby! (Didja ever think of writing for the TV soapies?) ;-).
>
>Waiting with warm and fuzzy,Xmas anticipation.
>
>Scotty,
>Adelaide,Australia.
>(Is this your first international request?)

Scotty, et al.

Well, the Old Whitesides story is not my best, but here goes anyway:  I
bought this car from a friend of a friend.  The car was in Virginia and I
made the most stupidest most commonest most redicuousest mistake of buying
it sight-unseen.  My friend said his friend was a straight talker.  Well, I
haven't spoken to my friend in a while now cuz his friend was a...  well,
liar is a strong word.  Anyway, this car was a royal mess.  Once it arrived
I was in a state of shock and felt like a supreme fool (nothing new there).
Members of my local car-guy support group came over shortly after the car
was delivered (it was too late then; I couldn't hide the thing as I'd talked
up the cool early B I was getting).  They were kind enough not to say
anything there in my garage (rare, that) but now that we can all look back
in humor they confessed that they burst out in peals of tears and laughter
after they were a block away in their car...  I don't blame them a bit.  Ah,
friends!

Anyway, the car is "fully" restored now and let me tell you that a *lot* of
sheet metal was required, about the same the amount that was required on
"Old Ironsides," the famous US Navy ship of yore.  Now this car is white,
and its old, and well...   I suppose I could have called it the Monitor as I
was reading civil war history at the time and she sort of lays low in the
water... (everybody general seemed to have a nick name in the civil war; old
iron pants, old piss-n-vinegar, old rusty nails, etc., all terms of
affection).  Maybe like the problem child; I love this car best.  Oh well.

Anyway, that's the story (you asked for it).  I am happy to have names for
cars; each car that gets one only gets it if it *deserves* it though!  My
Miata (which is no fun at all to drive because it lacks character and fails
to  deliver the true visceral joys of open-top motoring) doesn't have a
name...    yet.  ;-)

Will Zehring