Re: Nut At The End Of The Steering Column (Alignment made simple)

To: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Subject: Re: Nut At The End Of The Steering Column (Alignment made simple)
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 08:43:02 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, John M. Trindle wrote:
> Second, I did indeed use a 6 point socket purchased from NAPA especially
> for this occasion... I used it in conjunction with a 1/2" drive breaker
> bar, no ratchets, no adapters.  The socket cambered off the nut with any
> degree of force beyond just playing with it.  Not surprising, as the nut
> is about 1/4" thick or so.  Believe me when I tell you I wanted
> desparately to justify the expenditure for this socket, which doesn't
> seem to fit much else.

My 2 Pfennig: I have a Sprite but I think it is very similar. I also use
a big socket and 1/2" drive breaker bar. I slide the handle of my floor
jack (remove rubber grip at its end) over the breaker bar to get some
leverage. One hand has to press down on the socket to keep it square on
the nut. Use a helper if you must.
In my case, the socket also fits the crankshaft pulley nut!

> And last, impact wrenches are great things.  Next time I have access to
> an air compressor in my apartment parking lot, I'll let you know <grin>.

If your car is running, just go to a shop and have it broken loose.

Ulix
                      sprite                 caddy