Re: Oil/Grease in MGB steering rack.

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: Re: Oil/Grease in MGB steering rack.
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 14:42:28 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Jeremy DuBois wrote:
>   I opened up the steering rack on my 74 MGB and found grease in it, which
> seemed fine and dandy to me, until I looked at the manual which says there
> should be oil in there.
>   Anybody know why I'd find grease in there instead of oil?  Just ignorance
> on the part of the PO?  From the looks of all the internal parts, it doesn't

If it is like my Sprite, the reason is probably that BL installed a std.
grease fitting to get the oil in the rack. So in this case I would give
50% fault to the DPO and 50% fault to DBL !
Ulix

P.S. My manual says that one should fill a grease gun with oil to lube
the rack. Of course, the grease gun is not designed for this and leaks
oil at all ends. An oil gun is on order! GDBL !

                      sprite                 caddy