Air filters for SUs on rubber bumper MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Air filters for SUs on rubber bumper MGB
From: ps4330@gdatabr.mmac2.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 16:28:35 -0500
I have been running my 1980 'B with a pair of HS4s for about two
years.  I used the pre-1974 exhaust and intake manifolds and
a pair of flat air filters (about 1-1.5 inches thick) with the
holes for the carbs off center so that they clear the power
brake booster.  These filters use a supposedly washable foam as
a filter medium, which I am not happy with.

Has anyone ever tried to convert one of these filters to a
wire mesh type?  If so, what did you use?  Most of the
materials I have looked at (e.g. bronze wool, "Chore Boy" pads)
look as though they would shed small bits of metal.

Has anyone else come up with a better type of filter for
this setup?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com