Re: starting new rebuilt motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: starting new rebuilt motor
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 17:12:44 -0700
When I rebuilt my motor, I drove it conservatively for the first 5k miles,
keeping the rpms at 3000 or less, with plenty of city style driving (tough
when you live in a town of 15000 people). It ran like a charm except the
power never picked up like I had hoped, especially since I had installed a
3/4 performance cam.

One year and 40k miles later (I commuted 104 miles every day - 52 miles
oneway), I noticed something amiss when adjusting my valves. When I pulled
the cam, I found its lobes were almost non-existent. Isky alleged that MG
cams were made of some cheaper strength material and that this problem was
common (first time I heard of it). They offered to replace it at half price.

Instead I had another used stock cam handy that I installed. The car
regained some zip and some nine years and 150K later (an estimate because my
speedo was out for a few years until I got around to replacing that nifty
right angle drive), it still runs like a charm and still uses a quart of oil
in 800 miles or better, and that is partly attributed to the rear engine
seal oil leak that it has had for years.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html