re: Gearbox oil

To: Barry Archer <archerb@sound.net>
Subject: re: Gearbox oil
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 11:58:25 -0700
At 11:04 AM 1/7/96 -0600, you wrote:

>  First, my apologies.  I showed my age. :-(  It is, of course, the
>Indianapolis Colts that play here in KC this afternoon.
>
>  Secondly, are there any hints for ease of changing gearbox and overdrive
>oil?  I plan on getting a pair of ramps to raise the front of the car.  The
>manuals make it look straightforward, but I'm getting the impression that
>ain't always so.  I'm probably worrying too much, but I really have never
>even changed oil before...
>
>   Thanks,
>
>       Barry

It should be pretty straight forward. Two drain plugs to remove. Refilling
the oil will require a tube of sorts to access the filler hole in the car
behind the radio assembly. I used to do it all the time when my transmission
leaked.

Personally I prefer 20-50 in both engine and transmission (usually Castrol).
However, during the winter months I use 10-40 in the engine for those days
when the temperature falls below zero (F that is - here in Montana it is
almost always below zero on the centigrade scale from November through
February).

Meanwhile my car has been garaged for the past week - 5" of snow and
temperatures well below zero at night. But warm weather is on the way so
hopefully the BGT will hit the road again by Tuesday!

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html