new-car show report (minimal lbc content)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: new-car show report (minimal lbc content)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 08:30:53 -0500
Fellow fiends:

Me and the spousal unit went to the North American International Auto Show
here in DEEEEEEtroit yesterday evening, and naturally I thought you might
like to hear some thoughts-o-mine:

-The nice lady at the Jag stand kept saying "Wait until October" when I
asked her questions about the XJS replacement.  In other words, I don't know
if its bigger, smaller, faster, slower, 5 speed, automatic, etc.  I don't
even know if it's (-) earth, though I do have my suspicions.  I suspect it
won't be cheeper.  What ever happened to good old Sir William and his
fantastic and fantastically priced cars?  She *was* a nice lady, really, and
if I had $70K I didn't need I'd trade her an XJ6 for the cash.

-There were two DB7s in the AM area, one convertible and one hardtop.  The
car struck me as much larger than I imagined in magazine photos.  The colors
of the cars were not complimentary; purple (with purple interior---yeeeech)
and a milky green with a milky green interior (yeeeeech, again).  They did
have a very handsome DB5 there, silver with a dark blue or black leather
interior.  If I could have afforded either, I'd get the DB5, NO CONTEST.

-There was no Elise at the Lotus area.  There were four Esprit S4's (sp?).
They win the flat windshield award again this year.  The cars look pretty
old now with their wedge theme.  Huge instrument pannel on dash throws off
the interior's balance.  Sort of sad display; cars roped off, no one seemed
to car about them, young guy glumly sitting there, in an oversized tux.  All
I really wanted to see was the Elise-even if they don't sell it in the US.

-No MGF in the Rover area.  Why not?  What's the big deal?  Just show us
one!  I know you won't let us buy them.

-I saw the BMW Z3 for the first time: more retro than I realized from
magazine photos.  Its nice, but over $30,000?  That would get me half an XJ6!

-There was a convertible Lambourghini Diablo; not I car I care for.  The
silly thing was the fellow with the microphone was trying to impress
everyone with the fact that it was the fastes car in the show (200+ mph) and
also the most expensive (250,000+ $US).  Judging from the look of most
Detroiters at the place, they weren't impressed.  Zowie: thats almost four
XJ6's!!  (three parts cars).

-Last but by no means least: I'm still in *complete* shock as the car I was
most interested in investigating for possible future purchase.  The identity
of this car shall remain secret as my wife says it is irrefutable evidence
of my yawning middle age.  Suffice it to say that it is, IMHO, the "new
MkII," though it isn't made by Jaguar.  It is *astronomically* more
expensive than I imagined, a bit over a third again as much.  I'm obviously
living in the past when it comes to new car prices and I plan on getting
back there as soon as I can...

so...

...anyone out there got that perfect '67 B/GT resto project for sale?

=:O

Cheers,
Will "but that comes to $20 a day for six years!" Zehring

p.s. how about this: you send me a check for $1000 and I'll tell you what
the name of my "dream/nighmare" car is.  How 'bout it?  There must be 44 of
you out there who need to know!!!