MGA Engine Rebuild Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Engine Rebuild Questions
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 07:45:27 -0600 (CST)
The engine's out and somewhat disassembled.  Please go easy on me.
Although I've "assisted" on several American V8 rebuilds this is my first
solo and my first MG.

1) How does one get the 1-5/16 nut off the camshaft?  Try to turn it and
the shaft turns.  The only thing I can think of is put the block in a car
and take it to someone with an impact wrench.  Is there a way to keep the
shaft from turning?

2) The head is off and pistons out.  These pistons are five ring: four
above and one below the pin.  Were these original to the 1600 MGA?  The
pictures in my manuals show only four rings above the pin.  The number
four con rod is apparently from another engine.  DPO must have lost a rod
among other things.  Bores look good except for a little scuffing on
number four which is to be expected given the buggered condition of the
corresponding big end bearing.  It was actually _loose_.  I'll have to
have the machine shop check them.  Will they have the required numbers?

3) After I get the crank and cam out I guess my next step is to have the
shop find out if the crank is still usable.  How do I tell if the cam is
OK?  Take it to the shop also?  What do I do about the cam bearings?
Should I have the shop check the pistons?  What else needs to go to them?

4) What are the things that should definitely be replaced?  Like con rod
bolts and ???

5) Is there a "general rebuild FAQ" I can download?  I don't want to miss
anything important.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Nichols Research Corp.
Shalimar FL USA