Re: Brake light problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake light problem
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:02:06 -0700
At 10:12 AM 1/15/96 PST, Kelly Deffendall wrote:

>I have a question about an oddity on my 72 MGB.  I was told yesterday by
>someone
>following me that when I shift gears, my brakelights come on.   I looked
>interested,
>but thought they were mistaken as there is no electrical stuff ( that I know
>of ) hooked
>into the clutch system.  Last night I drove the car, looked over my shoulder
>and
>sure enough, each time I pushed the clutch in, the brake lights come on.
> The car
>is a 72 MGB with a 78 O/D transmission.   Any net wisdom is appreciated.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Kelly Deffendall
>kdeffendal@cbrl.cbrlcorp.com

The brake light is activated by a switch that is mounted on the cover over
the two master cylinders. Removal and inspection of this cover will reveal
the problem. It could be a faulty switch, switch clearance adjustment off,
or a problem with the brake/clutch pedal levers that share a common shaft.

Whateever the problem, it still sounds unusual. Check the cover out and let
us know what you find. It is held down by six philips screws, some are
somewhat hard to get to (so there will be some "fun" involved in the
reassembly).

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html