RE: Exhaust fitting

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust fitting
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 19:57:00 -0800 (PST)
They sell converters to go from one size pipe to another. Or take it to a
muffler place and they will do it for a few bucks
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
Cc: calvin; dale
Subject: Exhaust fitting
Date: Tuesday,January 16,1996 6:31PM

Well, I finally got over my distaste for lying in melted snow and started
work on putting the headers on yesterday.  This evening I "finished up".

Yes, it works, but boy is it loud!  I have a leak at the following point:

WARNING WARNING WARNING:  Bad ASCII Graphics Follow.  Lock up the kids!

         Clamp

          |           Weld
 ---------------        |
                       /--------------------
        --------------------

       Original Downpipe

        --------------------
                       \--------------------
 ---------------        |            |
          |           Weld          |
          |                         |
Janspeed Header                 Ansa Exhaust
Collector

The Header collector would probably clamp to the Ansa OK, but won't
reach.  The original downpipe is too skinny to clamp the Janspeed to.
Result:  Massive leak (well, it's noisy.  There is pretty good pressure
out the tailpipe, though).

What can I do?  I can come up with 1) Let the shop weld it, or 2) buy a
bigger exhaust and trash the ANSA.

I'd like to accomplish:

A) Eliminate the noise.

B) Save Money

C) Make it reversible for later upgrades.

in that order.

My #1 solution violates criterion C and #2 violates B.  Any other solutions?

Thanks!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle