Re: Zenith-Stromberg Carb (SINGLE)

To: 007 <jmel@netcom.com>, John Bartholomew <jdb70@amail.amdahl.com>
Subject: Re: Zenith-Stromberg Carb (SINGLE)
From: moses@csra.net (Tim Moses)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:16:46 -0700
At 09:53 AM 1/17/96 -0800, 007 wrote:

>> >Tim:
>> > I just rebuilt the
>> >Zenith Carb in my 79 B & now it tries to start ( once only) - then I
>> >smell that wunderful gasoline smell - I assume the carbs flooding....  I
>>  Tim,
>>      Been there, I vote you check the float setting very carefully.  This is
>> more of an eyeball adjustment. It is not particularly easy to set that
>> distance without some sort of depth gauge and then there is some guess work
>> involved. You may want to check the fuel shut off jet is seating OK.  I have
>> found that the *grosse jet* (sp?) is a good route to go.
>> Good luck - john.

>> John D. Bartholomew  Amdahl San Jose CA.  Usual disclaimers apply.
>>      408-746-6361 - Voice Mail            408-746-8016 - FAX
>>                Internet id - jdb70@amail.amdahl.com
>>  69 MGBGT; 74 MGB; 79 MGB; restoring 76 MGB; 72 MGB daily driver
>>

>Boy, now I'm getting confused - some people saying the Gross Jet is good,
>others say its no good.  Is there an FAQ on it?  Or failing that, could
>the MG Gods & Goddess shed some light on this murky subject.........
>
>Jim Mellander
>jmel@netcom.com

John, Jim and anyone else who has responded to my original post concerning
Zenith-Stromberg (SINGLE) Carb adjustment:

        For some reason, Jim Mellander's post was the first response to my
original question.  It appears that I missed the discussion up to this
point.   I will take John Bartholomew's suggestion to check the float
adjustment - I haven't done that (BAD BOY).  Till then, ANY input as to
setting and adjusting the idle speed, idle mixture, etc. on the exterior of
the Carb is much appreciated.

Tim Moses, Esq.
U.S.N.A. 1986
Augusta, GA (pop. 202,434)
as of Jan. 1, 1996, now  the 77th largest city in USA