Re: Vacuum advance, pt. 2

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance, pt. 2
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:33:00 -0800 (PST)

********
Christopher Reichle suggested a burnt exhaust valve.  I don't have a
compression gauge (maybe now is a good time to go get one...), but I set
the valve lash to spec at the same time as I was fiddling with the
dizzy.  Two or three valves were tight, but I figured that was just
normal valve seat recession.  Anyway, I figured a burnt exhaust valve
would be an obvious and sudden condition.  Am I wrong?
********
Well, what I meant by burnt is general failure in that area. I had a
gradually worsening case of backfire which proved to be 2 cracked exhaust
valve seat. As the crack grows it gets worse and you have more of a leak and
a bigger backfire. Compression and vacuum test will show it.

Chris