Re: Steering wheel

To: "Milo V. Kral" <kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:34:47 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Milo V. Kral wrote:

> 5)  place the splined sleeve in liquid nitrogen
> 6)  after the sleeve reaches -196C...

   ...Ouch, IMHO, I wouldn't recommend the use of cryogenics
   to fabricate a steering wheel hub.  I am really surprised
   that the sleeve didnt break into bits when hammered- or
   worse, split apart while driving at speed.

   LIN is lots of fun to play with- we use it during demos to
   freeze roses and tennis balls and smash them to itty bitty
   pieces, but it requires careful handling and storage to
   prevent _serious_ thermal burns or even asphixiation from
   rapid O2 displacement.

  -Scott
   (who is NOT speaking for Air Products...)

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA
   (610) 481-2646