Re: Front bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front bearings
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:13:49 -0600
>Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 10:52:40 +1100
>From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
>Subject: Re: Front bearings

*Stuff deleted*

>Not so.  The correct bearing is conical or tapered (to use the more normal
>name).  Many people throw away the shims and use the 'tight less one
>castellation' rule.  The use of shims was designed to place the load
>correctly and prevent overtightening.  Having seen massive damage done
>caused by incorrectly fitted front bearings (bearing welded onto the stub
>axle) strongly suggest you stick with the approach MG recommended.
>
>Regards,
>
>Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
>gmccann@pcug.org.au
>06 2889055

I guess you could say I use the "tight less slightly less than one half
castellation rule". Tapered (or conical - not to be confused with comical)
bearings are self-centering. As long as they are set correctly, there
shouldd be no use for the "spacer, shim, and tighten the piss out of it"
setup. The operative word here is "correctly". Even using shims and spacer,
one can still overtighten the bearings and ruin them. The only difference I
can see in the two setups is that using the spacer will keep the inner
sleeve from rotating on the axle should the bearing cage lock up, since you
are, in effect, locking both inner sleeves to the back face of the axle unit
(maybe that was what the idiot was thinking when he welded them in). But as
long as the bearings are maintained there shouldn't be any fear of that.

Glenn
Robbing Peter to pay Paul will get you a good credit rating with Paul.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com