Re: GT's top of door rust

To: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Subject: Re: GT's top of door rust
From: Don Mathis <tdm@smtp-gw.ak.att.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 17:05:46 -0500
>GT's have a chrome moulding along the top of the doors which holds the
>outside rubber seal next to the window.  I have had trouble with rust
>forming under this moulding on the last two door skins I have put on my 70
>BGT.  This moulding is pop-riveted onto the door and there is no rubber
>between the moulding and the top of the door skin.  The moulding eventually
>moves enough to cause the paint under it to become rubbed off and rust
>begins.  (atleast the GT doors are not as subject to the "crack of doom" as
>much as our roadster friends).
>
>Any suggestions as to how to prevent this.  Has anyone tried a thin rubber
>strip that could possibly be installed between the moulding and door top?
>
>Bill Mills
>1970 MGBGT
>Don't worry about putting the top down.

        We had BIG salt/rust problems in Milwaukee.  I saw a guy use clear
RTV bathtub calk under his chrome trim strips to prevent rust.  He said that
it worked like a charm.  If you can't get the chrome strip off then use a
hypodermic needle and run a small bead of the RTV along the edge of the strip.

Don Mathis
AT&T - Bell Laboratories
Norcross, Georgia
'61 MGA     '37 Bentley