Re: MGTD frame color

To: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: MGTD frame color
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:09:25 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Dirk de Boer wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Rick Brodeur wrote:
>
> > We are restoring a 1950 MGTD which has a grey painted frame.  The current
> > owner has had the car since 1958 and this is its first complete tear down
> > while he has owned it.  All references I can find indicate that all frames
> > were painted black.  The paint seems to be original.  Does anyone have any
> > additional info?  I appreciate any help.
>
> The factory probably ran out of black that day, so someone grabbed a
> can a gray paint just in order to meet the day's quota. They were not
> really concerned with 'originality' in the factory.
>
> Dirk

If you managed a factory making cars you thought one day would be
classics, it would be one hell of a lot of fun to play little tricks on
future concours restorers.

I imagine this conversation between the shop foreman and his workers:

"Boys, I think Cecil's taken leave of 'is senses.  'e says we're to paint
all the frames light grey this week, greenish grey next week, then change
back to black.  'e's the boss, so paint them grey.  And I asked 'im what
yer wanted to know, and get this:  'e says 'MOWOG' don't mean any damn thing
at all!  When I left, 'e was laughin' 'is arse off!"

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910