Distributor/Advance Curve

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor/Advance Curve
From: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 09:29:06 -0600
Hi all -

As some of you may remember, not too long ago I rebuilt my Midget engine,
making a few changes as I went along.  In the thousand or so miles I have
driven since then, it has become painfully clear to me that I need to
recalibrate my carburetion and ignition.

As to the carburetion, I think I'm going to go to a sidedraft Dellorto
that's been lying around since I bought it and discovered that it was too
much for the stock motor.  Now that I no longer have a stock motor,
hopefully it will not be quite so overlarge for the application.

Moving on to the ignition, I'm pretty sure the car's wanting a new
distributor;  The one I have seems worn out.  Additionally, the stock
advance curve (as it is in the dizzy I have, anyway) is no longer correct.
I believe I need slower and possibly also more advance than the current
system provides.  Does anyone have any hints as to how I would go about
doing this?  I have heard of dizzys with adjustable advance curves; does
this simply mean that they offer many different weights and springs for
them, or are they actually adjustable?  If not, is there a good
aftermarket distributor for which I can get different weights and springs
easily?

Waving to Will, low on our respective learning curves,

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu