Re: Unleaded fuel and valves

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel and valves
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 96 15:39:53 PST
Ulix asked:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Denise Thorpe wrote:
> > I've put 150K miles on the perfectly stock head of my '67 B and never had
> > any problem using premium unleaded.  Don't worry, be happy.
>
> Denise, I am wondering why you use premium. Does your car ping when you
> use regular?

My car never pings (that I'm aware of, but I don't have the best hearing)
but lower octane gas makes it run _noticeably_ bad and causes it to run
on.  Arco is the worst--my car barely runs on that.  My engine has 75K
miles since its last rebuild and it's dead stock (and getting clackier
every mile).  The head didn't get any work last engine rebuild because it
didn't need it, except, of course, for being surfaced because a piston
came apart.

Back when I could still get leaded gas in California, it wasn't premium
leaded and I discovered that the car was happier with premium unleaded
than regular leaded.  I'm much too lazy to have bothered mixing the two
so I've been using unleaded for a loooong time.

Interestingly enough, my boyfriend's '91 Toyota pickup isn't any happier
when I forget and put premium in it.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com