Re: Wire Wheels

To: Lloyd Decker <ldecker@internetland.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 15:58:48 +0500
     At 08:18 AM 1/28/96 -0600, Lloyd Decker wrote:
>        While looking through the catalogs, I see Victoria British is
>offering a set of four at a lower price than the other vendors I have
>checked.  The VB catalog states the wires have been shipped over 8,000
>miles.  Sounds like they are coming from one of the low-wage countries in
>Asia.

Sounds like those are Dunlop-licensed manufactured ones from . . . India?
Can't rememeber, but "Asia" is close enough.

Might see how competitive British Wire Wheel's prices are.  Can't be sure,
but I'd bet they true their wheels before shipping, unlike VB who tells you
to do it yourself.  BWW also has both Dunlop and Dayton brands.  Somebody
else will have to tell us the difference between the brands, but I feel
safer dealing with a firm that stocks more variety.

>        Also, I have always been attracted to the chrome wires, even though
>they aren't 'original'.

Original.  Thbbbff!  Go with what you like.  Shiny chrome wires are
breathtaking.

>I have heard stories about chrome spokes breaking,

Haven't heard of that myself.  Might apply to stainless steel spokes. <shrug>
I can say that the chrome on my Dunlops (purchased from Moss) started
flaking off after a dishearteningly short period.

If I had the money to spend, I'd straightaway take the wires off and stash
them in the attic for shows or special occasions.  They're somewhat
delicate, and cleaning them is no fun at all, but my big sore spot is
finding tires to fit.  (Don't get me started.)

I direct your attention to the spline-drive Minilite reproduction wheels at
the bottom of the same page in your VB catalog.  THAT's what I want.  Mmm.
Same price as new chromes, too.
--
Jay Tilton / jtilton@vt.edu  (vt = Virginia Tech)
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html