Re: another 'MGs in the winter' question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: another 'MGs in the winter' question
From: macleodm@cadvision.com (Michael MacLeod)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:32:34 -0700
>Fellow fiends:
>I've never been stranded by
>this system but I don't suspect it is an endless supply of highly motivated
>electrons either--especially when what I want is to start a very cold engine
>on a very stiff morning.  The system just doesn't seem to be up to the later
>single battery/alternator setups.

        I'm puzzled by the lack of faith in the "MG's in Winter" queries.
Although I may be looking throught the rose coloured glasses of time, I ran
my MGA through 7 winters while at University.  One winter without a rag
top.  (I'll post the srory sometime)  The car let me down only on the very
coldest days -40 (C or F, it doesn't matter).  The rest of the time it was
just fine.  In those days I ran with a "rebuilt" 12 Volt rattling around in
the trunk.  Student funds being what they weren't :-), that was all I could
afford.  I did however have a new starter motor and was always setting the
timing.  (That may have been the only thing I had learned to do.)

        I don't drive it in the winter any more, it's too pretty now, and I
can't get in the car in a full parka any more.

Mike MacLeod, Calgary, Alberta   (where the beer and the antelope freeze)
'68 BSA Spitfire                        60' MGA               '63 Jag Mark 10
'83 BMW R100 RS