Thanks.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thanks.
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 13:42:24 -0600
On Sat, 3 Feb 1996 Ted Weiler <tweiler@eskimo.com> wrote:

>Subject: Re: The Accident (Part IV), and thanks again

Stuff deleted

>>I'm assuming my insurance rates
>>will be going up (although currently my insurance rates are astoundingly
>>low...quite a bit lower than my parents', in fact);
>
>Also Not.  You wre not at fault.  They can't raise your rates.  Your rates
>may go up or down based on the overall loss record for the group you are
>insured with.  But you do not have an at fault loss so your risk class
>doesn't shange so your rates won't change anymore than everybody elses in
>your class.  You will not be penalized.  Both my daughter and I have been in
>unisured motorist accidents in the last year.  $8k to my van, a total for my
>Toyota (drunk driver).  My inusrance company has been great (Safeco) and it
>has not affected my rates.

Etc.

It depends on where you are. In some states (like TN) insurance companies
can get away with whatever they want to do. I was hit by a drunk once. I
chased the guy down and got his liscence number while he was threatening me
bodily harm and telling me that he was uninsured and didn't have a license.
I reported the accident. My comany paid to fix my car. It turned out that he
was driving his father-in-law's car and was indeed insured. His company paid
my company. Everyone (excluding his father-in-law) was happy.

Six months or so later, I got a ticket for speeding. My rates went up. For
*one ticket*!??? When I tried to bust the company's chops for this they said
it had to do with the "not at fault" accident I had been involved in. They
run their lives on statistics, and their statistics tell them that if a
driver has one action on his record, there will be more to follow. If there
are two, it's a sure thing as far as they are concerned. I fought and lost
and switched companies.

The black spot may not show up on your license record, but rest assured that
the insurance company is keeping closer tabs than the police and they WILL
separate you and your money.

Glenn "What? Me worry?" Schnittke
If you're late, you can't be on time. If you're early, you can.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com

'74 MGB - fatally wounded
'69 MGB - prim little touring car