Re: how cold is it? no LBC content

To: "Peter Rebbechi" <rebbechi.peter@a1.meoc02.sno.mts.dec.com>
Subject: Re: how cold is it? no LBC content
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 96 10:42:45 -0500
On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Peter Rebbechi wrote:

> Amazed at the reports of cold weather.

> We do not get those temperature extremes here.  Melbourne maybe, just
> mytbe gets to a temperature below 0 C once a year.  The max in summer
> is around 40C, with real temperatures averaging 20 for most of the

> Admittedly, in the outback, temperatures can top 50C, and you have to

> do people get to work?  I have followed the thread on heaters, and
> venture to say that if it gets that cold, why not heat the garage, and
> not fiddle about with the other stuff?

I'd find temperature of 50C as hard to stand as -30F, maybe even harder.
I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, before air conditioning was
widespread.  The upholstery of my Anglia 105E was not meant to withstand
the 130-140 F reached when the car was closed; it turned brown in a sort
of controlled spontaneous combustion.  I borrowed my father's black
Renault Dauphine one day when the temp hit 107F, and when I returned to
it that evening, the tail lamp lenses had distorted and the dome light
lense had distorted and fallen on the seat.  -20F is lots easier to live
with.  I admit -20F is not top-down weather, but neither is 100+F.

As far as heating garages-- I find it isn't a good idea to keep your daily
driver in a heated garage; the heat really speeds up the oxidation of
steel.  If you put your snow and salt covered car in a heated garage, it
practically disappears before your eyes.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910