Re: GTs (was UK MGB Prices)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GTs (was UK MGB Prices)
From: NICL@sedproc.cr.usgs.GOV (Geoff Hargreaves)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 12:01:26 -0600
>Kevin Phillips Wrote:
>
>>Having watched the messages about GTs on the list over the last week or so and
>>seeing how much you enjoy them, I am sorely tempted to but one of those
>>instead of a Roadster, particularly as you seem to get better value for
>>money. Mind you the value of a soft-top does not figure highly when the
>>weather is as bad as it is at present.
>>
>>Come summer things may be different -  anyone got any comments on the best of
>>the two - Roadster vs GT ?
>As a current GT owner (C instead of the B) and a past roadster owner I would
>strongly suggest you consider the GT.  The purists may scream, but when I redo
>my C/GT, it will be with a Webasto top.  This gives me all the advantages of
>the GT, including a functional back seat.  I have two young daughters and the
>GT makes a great bus.  With the hatch, I can hold a week's worth of groceries.
>It should be more water proof than the roadster, but I cannot confirm that.  My
>roadster had a new top and was quite dry except for the required leak into my
>wife's lap that I never found.  (Oops, that almost sounds non-PC...)  The GT
>however has less than perfect floorboards so I get some splash in along with
>a few drips from poor door seals.  A Webasto would give me summer fun with
>enough wind to keep me happy, most of the time.  And on very long trips, it is
>hard to handle the wind thrashing one gets in a top down roadster.  Before
>anyone questions my commitment to topless motoring, my definition of very long
>is 8 hours or more on the interstate.  Been there, done that, lost the hair the
>next day when I tried to comb that mess.
>
>One vote: GT, with a very period addition of a Webasto....

Two votes for GT's, the wind noise is a little less, the windscreen is tall
enough to see out the glass instead of into the top winshield bar, I don't
hit my head on the roof like I do in the roadster with the top up (I know,
I know, the top isn't supposed to BE UP).  Besides I like the looks and the
handling.
Re: originality, mine will be BRG (originally blue),  I have a 2L ( an
overbored 1800). I don't want to change anything that can't be changed back
to original,  but it is my car and I will do what I feel is necessary to
make it comfortable for me.  Of course, I don't show the car.  If it is a
rare car I would tend to stick more with originality.

Geoffrey Hargreaves
Curator
National Ice Core Laboratory (NICL)
(303) 202-4830 wk