Re: Originality (rather long post)

To: FirDarreg@aol.com
Subject: Re: Originality (rather long post)
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:50:19 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 8 Feb 1996 FirDarreg@aol.com wrote:

>      ... and I was wondering, what's the opinion out there about originality?
>  I'm not talking about concours showings; from what I've read of them, they
> want T-total originality in the cars and this counts for points. Maybe it

>      The offspring wants a B when she gets her license, and that not being
> very far off, we're looking at candidates now. But: she wants it painted
> metallic purple (duck), she wants some fairly non-standard speakers
> installed, and she wants me to figure out a way to fit it with an airbag.

>      From that rather windy springboard, let me ask the assembled worthies:
>  What is your opinion on originality in our vehicles? Mechanically or
> cosmetically, is there a real advantage (not including resale value ... What?

Concours restoration to painstakingly original standards is a different
activity from wanting a neat car to drive.  One dimension it adds to
the old car hobby is the need to research what was original, and sometimes
to search extensively for the proper equipment.  The amount of work and
money involved is sometimes so great that the car becomes undrivable.  I
admire a beautiful restoration to painstakingly original specs, and I
personally tilt a bit in the direction of originality, but I try not to
get carried away.

In particular, I don't get much bent out of shape by deviations that are
easily reversible.  A metallic purple B would lose a bit of value, because
the color would not be to everyone's taste, as well as being non-original.
Also, your daughter might find it quickly becomes tiresome.  But if she is
convinced it will make her happy for the forseeable future, and does not
plan to sell the car so the resale value is not important, then go for it.
It can always be undone, at a price, later.

However, cutting major holes in the panel between the trunk and cockpit to
install woofers, would be an unfriendly thing to do to an innocent B.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910