'52 Alvis: the poop

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: '52 Alvis: the poop
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 02:15:15 -0500
Or something like that. I wish I could buy this car, but I'm in the market
for something semi-practical for daily commuting, like an XJ6. I'd have a
hard time explaining the Alvis to my bank manager!

It should be noted that Alvis is still alive and well (though they last built
cars in '67), building goodies such as the Scorpion tank and other sundry
military goods, which was always a major part of the company. The firm was
founded in 1919. The Alvis factory was utterly destroyed during WW2, and
engineers at the firm recreated blueprints for the cars as customers brought
them back to be serviced.

Here's info from that great source, James Flamming's "Standard Catalog of
Imported Cars, 1946-1990:"

1950-53 Alvis

TA21 - Three Litre - Six - The Three Litre Alvis (series 21) rode a new
chassis with independant front suspension and carried a six-cylinder engine,
rather than the former four. Four-door sedan and two-door drophead coupe body
styles were offered (by HJ Mulliner and Tickford, respectively). Styling was
less than modern, with an upright profile and vertical-style grille
reminiscent of prewar models. Alvis saloons, in particular, were built to
appear traditional and dignified rather than sporty or even up-to-date. The
drophead coupe, on the other hand, had a much more modern and sophisticated
look, accented by the rakish rear skirts with curved cutouts and two-tone
color schemes that became available. Headlamps of each body-type were
semi-integral, mounted alongside the grille. Front doors were hinged at the
rear, rear doors at the front. A flat windshield was used. Inside, round
guages flanked a round speedometer in the center of the elegantly-finished
hardwood instrument panel. Standard equipment included a heater. Partial rear
fender skirts were added for the 1951 model year, along with seperate parking
lights atop the fenders. The engine added twin SU carburetors during 1952,
along with dual exhausts. The same chassis continued in service on subsequent
Alvis models. >Auto Age< put Alvis "in a class by itself...of conservative
design," yet it was light in weight and "many of the handling characteristics
of the sports car have been built into the chassis."

Price new in '52: $4250 (about the price of a Jaguar Mk. VII, a chevy would
probably have cost about $1000).

183 ci six, 100 bhp w/ SUs, 7/1 compression, iron block & head, ohv.

Chassis: 111.5 in wheelbase, 182.5 in overall length, 4-wheel hydraulic
(Lockheed) drums, 4 speed, seperate body and frame, with wooden body
framework, 17-gallon tank.

Top speed: 92 mph, 0-60 in 13.4 seconds.