Metal etching

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Metal etching
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 02:43:46 -0500
Wanted: Chemist, Chemical Engineers, Anyone!
Problem:  The aluminum door handles on my Arnolt seem to have expanded inward
over the years.  They are serrated and are supposed to fit over a similarily
serrated steel gizzy that is part of the door mechanism but they don't.  they
are now two small in diameter.

I of course want an easy fix...I've tried fileing with a triangluar file for
hours on end with out getting anywhere so I would think that some kind of
acid could just poured into the handles and it would remove 5 thou, I would
neutralize it and I'm there???

OK its a cockamamie idea but is there any one out there who thinks otherwise?
Thanks
Terry