Re: MGA Brake Problem

To: HLUB34A@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA Brake Problem
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 07:18:57 -0500

<< I recently redid the brakes on my 62 Mark II and it sound like you still
have some air in the system. Especially if you get pressure after pumping.
Have you checked all your brake line connections and also the lines
themselves for leaks or pinholes, which may not leak but will introduce air
into the system. Also, if those front brakes have not been rebuilt and have
been sitting for 10 years, I'd go the safe route and rebuilt them, too. Are
you losing any fluid? Sometimes just rebuilding the MC (new seals) is not
enough. I ended up sending the MC from my midget in for rebuilding since my
rebuild job and a resleeving didn't do the trick, >>

I was trying to avoid it for a while, but I will rebuild the front calipers.
 I'm not sure how I could find pinholes in the lines if they don't leak
fluid.  It's beginning to look like I may have to break down and send the MC
out for rebuilding.  I guess I'm just to cheap to spend $125 on a MC rebuild
before I'm convinced that it really needs it.  When I cleaned and put new
rubber in the MC the cylinder walls seemed to be OK with no pitting and the
seals seemed to have a nice tight fit.  Any ideas on a sure-fire way to tell
if I need a rebuild?

Thanks for the advice.  Any/all help is greatly appreciated!

Keith Baer