Re: The Sacred Octagon

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Sacred Octagon
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 96 09:50:03 PST
TATERRY replied to Simon Matthews post:

> >>its distinctive octagonal badge inspired by
> > Kimber's dining-room table.
>
> Oh Wow, you mean it wasn't doodles after all......Gee Wiz!

Actually, this reference to the shape of Kimber's dining room table supports
the doodle story.  For people who missed it the first time, here it is again:

Donald Healey once said (I was there when he said it) that Cecil Kimber was
an octagon freak.  Everything he owned that could possibly be octagon shaped,
was.  This included his dining table, plates, and clocks.  He also saved
everything he ever owned.  When he died, his daughter inherited endless
sheets of paper with octagons drawn on them with every possible combination
of letters drawn inside the octagons.  According to Donald Healey, M and G
don't stand for anything, they're merely the two letters that fit best in an
octagon.

Thanks, Terry, for giving me the impetus to retell this story for the
newcomers on the list.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com