RE: Cooling a 67 BGT

To: MG list <mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: RE: Cooling a 67 BGT
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:19:00 -0800 (PST)
I would check your timing and make sure that it is right. Incorrect timing
can cause overheating

Chris Reichle
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: MG list
Subject: Cooling a 67 BGT
Date: Monday,February 19,1996 10:27AM

As the temperature has warmed up to highs of 85, my 67 B has been getting
warm while climbing a long steep hill on I-17.  The temperature gauge
would read 212 at the top.  So, last week I flushed the cooling system
with some Prestone flushing stuff, plain water, and then refilled with
a 50/50 mixture of water and Sierra antifreeze.  I also changed the
thermostat and radiator cap.  This had the effect of making it clib to
212 on the flats and up to the top of the scale after climbing that
hill.  So, I drained the Sierra and put Prestone in.  It is now back
to normal on the flats and 212 at the top of the hill.  All this is
with the heat on.

My 72 MGB has climbed this same hill on a 120 degree day without the
heat on and the temperature gauge has read normal at the top.
According to the Haynes manual, the later radiators are 2 US pints
larger.  So, I looked at the two.  With the exception of the location
of the radiator cap and the attachment for the top hose, they look
identicle.  I wonder if there are more tubes in the later one, or if
they are larger diameter?  The local parts place has an early style
radiator which they call the heavy duty model, which has an extra row
of tubes.  They want something like $160 for it.

The only other difference between the two cars is the 67 has a high
compression engine, while the 72 does not. (I think it is 8.8:1 vs.
8.0:1).

My Dad says when he owned a 67 B (when it was new, 29 years ago), that
he drove across Oklahoma in 120 degree heat and the temperature gauge
did not budge.  This makes me think I just need to recore my radiator.
However, methinks a larger capacity unit would be a good investment.
Perhaps I should swap my two radiators and see if it makes a difference.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you all can give.

James Howard    jhoward@argus.lowell.edu
NPOI            Flagstaff, AZ (commuting to Phoenix a lot)