Painting you own car at home...

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us, british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Painting you own car at home...
From: Railroad2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 10:02:16 -0500
Hi All,

I've been trying to decide which route to take getting my Rover sedan
painted.  Since every single body panel is unstressed and simply unbolts from
the car, I thought I might do it myself one panel at a time and thoroughly
rustproof the car as I went.  Recently, though, I spoke to auto paint
supplier who told me that this  would probably be considered illegal by the
state EPA which has been cracking down on all the hole in the wall body shops
with poor OSHA-type practices.  I can see wheree these shops may be doing a
significant volume and could have a significant effect on the environment,
but is the private owner working on his own car really at risk?  This auto
paint supplier cited cases wherein the individual's equipment was confiscated
and fines up to $50,000 applied.  What's the experience of the list on
painting your car at home?

Glen Wilson