Re: Wooden dashes...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wooden dashes...
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 96 09:29:16 PST
Corey answered Bradley's question:

> I've seen adverts for the wooden fascia covers for 'Bs, but only for the late
> (77+) model fascia. If there's a kit out there for earlier (74-76) model, I'd
> like to know about it. I may even offer to test-fit it and report back here.
> ;)
>
> As far as I know, all of the B's had metal fascia (dashboards), but the trim
> covering them differed markedly from model to model.  The early B's had very
> little covering them in some places, and had a full-metal fascia all the way
> from the bulkhead (firewall) to the inserts for the gauges.  Then, they had a
> padded 'rail' on top under the windscreen.  The later B's, like mine, have a
> metal frame and metal deck under the windscreen, but have a plastic fascia
> piece where the guages go.  Does this sound right?  Is this what you were
> after?

I'd almost forgotten, the '67 B I've had since '79 came with wood inserts in
parts of the dash.  It was thin plywood faced with some nice wood veneer, but
it was so old back then that the finish was gone and the veneer was starting
to peel.  There was a piece behind the speaker grill and another one inside
the tach and speedo surround.

The burgundy '67 B that I'm supposed to be restoring (and I bought _another_
one?!) came with non-original, chrome door pulls, window cranks, and door
handles with wood inserts.  Someone who looked at this car told me that they
were replacements you could get when the car was new and the set would be
worth something if it were complete.  Well, I found the missing piece that
completes the set in the trunk.  I'm still deciding if I want to get them
rechromed and use them.  Or do I want to keep carrying a spare bakelite door
handle in the glove box for when (not if) a passenger breaks one off?

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com