Re: clutch part 2

To: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: clutch part 2
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 08:27:26 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Jay Tilton wrote:

> David Councill wrote:
> >Then to further delay the repair, my 12 year old son seemed to take an
> >interest in the repair.
> >(got to raise the kid
> >right, don't I?)
>
> Good for you.  I feel a peculiar obligation to mention that it's worth your
> time (and the kid's) to include practical lessons on safety.  Too many times
> I've taken a shortcut or done something stupid that could have brought me to
> grief.  Ever watch Funniest Home Videos and thought to yourself, "if that
> guy had even an ounce of brains, he wouldn't be doing that"?  Some of the
> boners I've pulled would have put me on their All-Time Biggest Nitwit
>Special.>
> By all means encourage his interest, but be sure he knows that there's a
> right way to do things and a wrong way, and the right way will always make
> itself evident if you do a moment's thinking.  The potential rewards are
> limitless, but there are more than a few hazards.

I did have one of those huge American cars almost fall on me when I was
changing a tire. That was the last time I jacked a car up without
adequate support and chocked wheels.

Then there are other somewhat embarassing incidents. So I try to maintain
a balance in teaching my son (and even employees) basic safety awareness.
And to some extent, lessons still are learned the hard way - through
experiences, good or bad.

My trouble is that I still like to take risks (so long as the odds are
somewhat favorable). And therein lies the dilemma. The balance between
being brave and playing the odds as opposed to being stupid - and then
trying to impart those values to others.

But then I am straying from the LBC content here.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
71 BGT - almost road worthy again