Advice needed: blowing oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice needed: blowing oil
From: Simon.MATTHEWS/OU=ag/OU=agrate1/OU=italy@sgpgtw.sgp.st.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 11:00:46 +0100
     The engine on my '74 MGB appears to be pressurising the crankcase and
     rocker -- some oil oil is being blown out -- however only a small
     amount: my garage floor is certainly not covered with oil, and it
     probably does not use more than a pint every 2000 miles.

     There is no visible smoke when warm, the compression is OK (I don't
     know the figures, but a garage tested it for me a while ago and stated
     that it seemed OK).

     What are the possible causes -- could this just be a blocked crankcase
     breather -- in which case, does anyone know how it should be plumbed?
     Car is US spec MGB, MY '74 with HIF carbs. Used to have air pump and
     gulp valve (removed by PO).

     In fact, could it be just the removal of the gulp valve that has
     caused this (depending upon exactly what was done by PO when
     removing)?  Or is it a more serious problem just surfacing?

     Regards,
            Simon