Re: Aftermarket air filters

To: KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aftermarket air filters
From: NICL@sedproc.cr.usgs.GOV (Geoff Hargreaves)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:54:34 -0600
>Jeff and friends at Motorhead recently wrote:
>
>>>     For instance, stock MGB air filter housings (63-74) contain a velocity
>stack insert which encourages flow.  The Ramflo, K&N and other aftermarket
>air filters do not contain a velocity stack.  It is possible that this insert
>as well as the capacity of the stock housing play more than a subtle role in
>air flow to the carburetters.<<
>
>What do you recommend when the stock filters can't be used.  For example, my
>'57 MGA has an early B (18G) engine which might prefer to breath through
>stock air filters.  However, there is no way to fit those big mushrooms under
>the hood.  The DPO used "MGA-like" flat filters (I think they're really
>Volvo), but I wonder if there's a better way.
>
>Other MGA owners with B engines?  Do most use standard MGA air filters,
>K&N's, or others with no built-in velocity stack?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Keith Baer

If you can get a hold of a copy of Vizzard's book on building the A series
motor, there is a great discussion on air filters (K&N recomended) velocity
stacks (VERY important), intake manifolds, and carboration.
Presently I use stock filters and housings.  I'm going to change to K&N
filters and retain the stock base (cause of the velocity stack leadin) or
add the longer velocity stack inside of the filter.
Geoff

Geoffrey Hargreaves
Curator
National Ice Core Laboratory (NICL)