Re: Engine Removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Removal
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 26 Feb 1996 09:16:44 -0600
In <199602261421.FAA19279@anc.ak.net>, Gregg Baker wrote:
>All,
>  Is it really mandatory to remove the front portion of the gearbox cover
>inside the
>vehicle to get the engine and gearbox out of my 56 A? The floorboards and
>TOEBOARDS
>are "somewhat" difficult.  Any suggestions appreciated.

It is _not_ necessary to remove the toeboards.  Frakly, I am not sure
that it is even _necessary_ to remove the floorboards, but it is a
bit more convenient.

Pulling the engine/tranny on an A was one of the worst LBC experiences
I have ever had.  You should remove _everything_ from the engine that
you can, including the starter and the oil filter.  You must also
remove the tranny dipstick (!).  The problem that I had was that the
tail of the tranny hangs up on the crossmember "ears" that hold the
Monster Bolt that constitutes the rear mount.  I ended up also taking
off the crank pulley and the timing cover, and even then it was a
squeeze (hangs up on the front crossmember that contains the hood
latch).

                Good luck!              A. B. Bonds